Court Jester Beanie for kids
You will need:
Moda Vera “Fern”
This yarn comes in 100 gram skeins. One (1) skein will make approximately 4 Court Jester Beanies.
Small amount of white Novelty Fur or loopy yarn – I used scraps from another project and have since lost the label SORRY!
3.5 mm Hook
3 x 1.5 inch Pom-poms. I made my own using the main colour of the hat.
Stitch marker/s or a contrasting colour yarn to mark your rounds (particularly for the points of the hat as these are worked in a spiralling motion, without joining).
HDC INC = 2 HDC in same stitch
HDC DEC = 2 HDC together
This pattern is worked in 4 parts, starting with the top section of the hat, making the points adding the pom-poms THEN working downwards towards the forehead section. This is to ensure that the completed item has enough stretch to grow with your child. This pattern is made to fit a 7-8 year old child, but has enough stretch to fit me... a 30 something adult!
Working at first to make a ‘tube’.
1) Ch 85, being careful not to twist, slst to join.
2) Ch 2, HDC around, slst to join
3) Repeat row 2
4) Ensure that the right side of the fabric is facing you, skip 27 stitches, insert hook into next stitch, hold it in place, skip next 27 stitches, insert hook into next stitch, slst, skip next 27 stitches, slst into next stitch. You have now made the base for each of your 3 hat ‘points’.
Each point is now worked individually. Use a stitch marker or contrasting colour yarn to mark your rounds, as the all rounds in the each point are NOT joined, instead worked in a spiralling motion.
Starting at the last slst from previous row;
1) Ch 1, HDC around, HDC into CH1 sp 
2) HDC around 
3) HDC into next 13 st, HDCinc, HDC into next 11 st, HDCdec 
4) HDC into next 14 st, HDC inc, HDC into next 12 st, 
5) HDCdec, HDC into next 27 st 
6) HDC into next 13 st, HDC inc, HDC into next 11 st, HDC dec 
7) HDC dec, HDC into next 23 st, HDCdec 
8) HDCdec, HDC into next 21 st, HDC dec, 
9) HDC dec, HDC into next 19 st, HDC dec, 
10) HDC into next 6 s, HDC dec, HDC into next 5 st, HDC dec, HDC into next 6 st 
11) HDC dec, HDC into next 8 st HDC dec, HDC into next 7 st 
12) HDC around 
13) HDC 2, HDC dec, HDC into next 8 st, HDC dec, HDC into next 3 st 
14) HDC around 
15) HDC into next 4 st, HDC dec, HDC into next 4 st, HDC dec, HDC into next 3 st 
16) HDC dec, HDC into next 9 st, HDC dec 
17) HDC around 
18) *HDC dec, HDC*, repeat x3, HDC dec 
19) HDC around 
20) *HDC dec* repeat x3, HDC, slst into 2nd st at beg of row.
Fasten and sew on the Pom-pom. Weave in ends as necessary.
2nd and 3rd points are worked as for the first, starting at the slst in the centre of the top section, and working right to left.
With the right side facing you, Join yarn with slst to the last foundation ch of top section. You should be able to find it by searching for the yarn tail, the tail will be held to the left of your hook.
1) Ch 1, HDC inc, HDC inc, HDC into next 27st, HDC inc, HDC inc, HDC into next 26 st, HDC inc, HDCinc, HDC into next 26 st, slst to join
2) Ch2, HDC around, slst to join
3) Ch3, 3xDC into the next st, DC, HDC into next 27 st, DC, 3xDC into next st, DC, HDC into next 27 st, DC, 3xDC into next st, DC, HDC into next 26 st, DC, slst to join.
4) Ch3, DC around, slst to join
5-13) Repeat row 4, change colour at end of row 13
14-15) Using Novelty Yarn, repeat row 4, change colour at end of row 15
16) DC around, slst to join
17) HDC around
18) Crab stitch (reverse SC) around, slst to join, fasten. Weave in all ends.
Laura Pavy - Copyrights reserved. 02 March 2012